Cemeteries and graveyards, full of love, betrayal, tragic deaths, murder, and suicide. What will you find?

Sunday 16 December 2012

Cemetery Sunday - Fading

 
 
Sandstone weathers over time, leaving some gravestones completely indecipherable.  It is such a shame that there names and the historical information is now lost.
 
The only information readable on the gravestone above is John Pearce.
 




Above is the gravestone of the Brill family.  The only name that remains readable is that of young Arthur William Brill, son of John and Florence Jane Brill of Norden Farm. 

"Born March 18th 1892.  Died Jany 5th 1894. - The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away.  Blessed be thy name of the Lord."

Unfortunately the name of the person memorilised above young Arthur is now completely lost.

By photographing the older gravestones, I hope that in some way I am preserving the information for many many years to come.  Once it has worn away, it is gone forever.


Do you like cemeteries and churchyards? Found anything interesting on your wanders?

Why not join in with the Cemetery Sunday linky? Just link up with your favourite picture or story, you can say as much or as little as you like. Link up via your blog, Flikr or Photobucket account.

Please visit other contributors and say , 'Hi




8 comments:

  1. I've spent hours looking at photos of weathered stones trying to find any little curve or line that looks like a letter, trying to figure out what's inscribed on them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same. I even edit the pictures to see if I can see anymore that is not visable to the eye.

      Delete
  2. I also have the same feeling about taking photos of the really old stones I come across. I've never tried doing a rubbing, although I've considered finding someone who can show me how to (I'd rather not just try it without knowing what I'm doing).
    I like that first photo -- it has a really interesting texture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting! :)

    And just in case my comment via wordpress didn't come through ---- this is a great post. That first photo has a lot of texture! I appreciate that you take photos of these old stones to preserve what's there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it sad and not a little frustrating to see the decay on some of these monuments. Why did they ever think sandstone would last forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad and yes very frustrating, but I don't think they really expected the sandstone to last the test of time. It was really a case of affordability. As ever the poorest people become erased from history.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment.

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain